The SMAPVEX16-MB field campaign is designed within the framework of the SMAP calibration/validation post-launch activities which aim to: (a) verify and improve the performance of the science algorithms, and (b) validate the accuracies of the science data products.
- Investigate and resolve anomalous observations and products;
- Improve up-scaling functions for core validation sites;
- Develop, validate and improve SMAP downscaling approaches;
- Deployment of ground-based microwave instruments to better understand the spatial and temporal variances in soil and crop contributions to microwave responses;
- Acquire data for ongoing validation of SMAP Level 2–4 products;
- Contribute to broader science/application objectives to prepare for future satellite missions.
Details on these objectives can be found here.